Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Ben and Sue Day 16

Sunday, September 22, 2007, Day 16

. . . Today we drove from Newton, Iowa to Joliet, Illinois -- was yet another day of gorgeous warm sunny weather, about 75 - 80 degrees all day.  Stopped for lunch at a place called GrandMa's Kitchen along Interstate 80 in Illinois -- a big sign read "World's Largest Truck Stop".  I ordered chicken noodle soup and they served some of the thickest, tastiest noodles I've ever eaten.  The one thing that seemed to stand out in our minds today was the incredibly high price of diesel gas -- as much as .43 difference between regular and diesel.  Gas seems to be getting cheaper as we travel East but at least through Iowa and Illinois diesel was bery high -- $3.15 -- $3.20 a gallon.  Saw the strangest name for a town today:  Bloomington--Normal, Illinois.

. . . We've been having a lot of trouble with flys in the trailer these last few days -- keep forgetting to by fly spray.  So I, in my creative genius, decided to create  a sticky sugary incentive on the table for the flys to feast on so I could zap 'em.  I took a few tablespoons of maple syrup and created quite a masterpiece design of the stuff on the table.  Sure enough after a while one by one they started feasting on the gooey stuff and I killed 'em!  (I'm sure there is a life applicaton there)

Almost the entire drive today we saw corn and soybean crops -- thousands of acres of both all along the way.  I am remembering our drive through Wyoming and Montana -- hundreds of miles before we saw a single house or settlement.  Today signs for cities were posted every 15 minutes or so  We saw a huge bujilding that we guessed must have been 1/2 mile long.       

No comments: