Friday, October 5, 2007

Ben and Sue Day 26

Contiinuation of Day 26 -- New York Trip

.  . .So, we went to Tiffany's on 5th Avenue as I was hoping to buy a couple of gifts.  I quickly discovered nearly everything I looked at was way out of our budget.  I saw three little pretty soaps in a box -- they were $85!

. . . Then we walked on to Saks . . . same story.  I saw a very pretty little ceramic heart shaped dish -- about the size of the palm of my hand -- $125!  Phew!

. . . About that time we were getting hungry so we asked the elevator doorman if he could  recommend a good place to eat.  He recommended a place close by:  Rue 57.  So we went in and were seated.  I saw  a grilled chicken salad with carrots, cucumber, onions eggs, tomatoes and haricot vert on a bed of lettuce.  Sounded good except I did not know what "hariot" was.  Turns out to be "beans".  Verte means green.  Makes more sense actually  to me to put the adjective first.

. . . Okay . . .Let's see -- when I told her I wanted water to drink she asked "sparkling or flat"? and then "bottled or tap"?

. . . Next we -- well actually me -- wanted to go to the Metropolean Museum of Art.  And my loving husband agreed to take me there even though he was not too interested.  We had to take a taxi because it was too far to walk.  Oh my goodness -- little did I realize I was in for the ride of my life!  I probably should have known  because of course New York is famous for its terrible taxi drivers.  I started looking out the front windshield but quickly closed my eyes after the taxi driver almost ran over several people -- and I mean to  tell you I am not exagerating.  This driver knew three speeds -- fast, faster, and fastest.

. . . The Metropolean Museum of Art was amazing.  There was a display of Rembrant currently being shown which I enjoyed.  I can't say I know very much at all about art but I did enjoy looking at all those paintings just the same.  There were several rooms of antique Greek and Roman statues.  One small statue particularly caught my attention -- it was a statue of a child that had a contorted look on his face.  The reading said it  was a statue of a satyre because of his pointed ears, shaggy hair and wattles of his neck.  So of course now I am interested in discovering what  a satyre might be.

. . . .The taxi drive back to Grand Central Station to catch the train back was even worse than the first  taxi ride.  The driver actually bumped another car and did not even stop .  Then he hit a 2nd car and he and the driver of the  other car got out ---argued for about 30 seconds -- and both just drove off.  I was very happy when we reached Grand Central Station and could get out.

. . .      Tomorrow we hope to visit the Statue of Liberty

    

No comments: