Monday, October 15, 2007

Ben and Sue Day 38

Sunday, October 14, 2007, Day 38

My goodness, my goodness did we have an AWESOME day today!  Ben and I started the  day by going to church -- first Baptist Church of Kennwich.  Was so good to sing familiar songs, hear a good message, and be with like-minded people.  Kind of set the tone for the entire day.

. . .After church Tom  and Julie picked us up and for the next several hours took us all over New Orleans -- showing us and explaining to us so much about the history of New Orleans, the devastation of Katrina, the beautiful antebellum homes, treating us to a delicious dinner at a very old and famous restaurant --  Medinas -- and being the absolute best/kindest tour guides we have ever experienced.  Right away when I saw Julie I knew her because she looked so much like her sister (my friend) Jane back in Washington.  And Tom and Julie both were the most hositable people I have known -- you know how sometimes when you met someone for the first time there is that period of -- kind of awarkwardness -- as you talk and ask questions and get to know one another?  Well it  wasn't like that at all.  From the very first minute both Ben and I felt like we were in the presence of two very genuine people and all four of us talked and laughed quite easily.  It was so cool!

. . . So . . . New Orleans -- Wow!  I believe the one thing that stood out the most here was the determined spirit of the people to rebuild -- to reclaim their beloved and beautiful city.  Yes, there was MUCH destruction and one huge section of the city -- called a Parrish (about the size of a county) which is still completely without water or electricity and no one in that Parrish seemed to be rebuilding -- not even the businesses.  But aside from that one Parrish I saw great hope eveywhere.  Seemed to be that everywhere else there were plain and obvious signs that people were somewhere in the rebuilding process -- from gutting their house/business and rebuilding to completely destroying the structure and starting from the ground all over again.  Businesses were not only having grand re-openings -- they were have grand re-openings with huge signs "Welcome Back -- We're Reopening" and "We Love New Orleans -- Welcome Back" -- often with American flags flying beside the signs.

. . .I know I tend to be overly optimistic and I don't want to paint a rosy -- everything will be fine -- kind of picture.  It will probably be many decades before New Orleans begins to resemble pre-Katrina days.  And from  what Tom and Julie told us -- even now after two years it is still very hard to get workers -- construction people/plumbers/electricians are still in very short supply and if my understanding is correct it takes perhaps several months to get someone to put a new roof on your house -- very much a shortage of workers.  Julie said that in the months following Katrina the trash was 10 to 12 feet high in many places -- was a definite health hazard and surely must have been incredily unsightly.  Today I saw lots of trash outside the houses that were being rebuilt -- but at much more managable levels.  Many, many lots were vacant and only grass was growing where there were once homes.  As we drove down Jefferson Boulevard many huge cranes were woking on repairing the dikes and levees on the lake.

. . . Tom drove us to what is called the French Quarters -- old historic New Orleans.  I especially enjoyed walking there -- listening to the street musicians -- seeing people making/selling crafts/art.  We went to the famous  cafe De Monde for French donuts and coffee -- delicious for sure.  The donuts were sprinkled with powered sugar and when I got some on my black pants Julie said that  was common and everyone would know I had been to the Cafe Du Monde.  There were many people there walking around/taking pictures/enjoying shopping and eating -- a sure sign to me of hope and determination -- the tourism industry is making a comeback -- slowly but progressing just the same.  We saw horses and buggies -- their drivers explaining the French Quarters to those who rode.  After a while we walked up on the banks of the Mississippi River and Julie and I sat for a while enjoying the river and chatting about our childhood while Ben and Tom stood a little ways away also talking together.  Was most pleasant -- the river was calm today and the weather could not have been better.

. . . Over the years my friend Jane has often told me of her deep longing to return to her childhood home of New Orleans -- her family and friends.  I never had any such longing myself so I did not completely understand.  I hope I always listened with attention and compassion.  Well . . . after being here for only two days . . .I can understand so much better Jane's deep longing.  There is something about New Orleans -- difficult to describe -- a deep sense of community -- a strong knowledge of its histrory -- a sense of belonging that I have not experienced anywhere else on our trip.

 . . .Over and over again I am reminded of  that glorious day when we will all be friends in Heaven and there will never again be tearful goodbys.     

1 comment:

Benjamin Ady said...

One has to ask oneself what it would look like if we had spent (at least some of) that $400 Billion dollars rebuilding New Orleans instead of destroying cities all over Iraq.