Saturday, October 20, 2007

Ben and Sue Day

Thursday, Octoberv 18, 2007, Day 42

. . . Today once again was mostly taken up with driving.  We drove from just south of Shreveport, Louisiana to Dallas/Fort Worth Texas.  This evening we got settled into our campsite, unhooked the  truck and went to visit very old and dear friends in Forth Worth -- Papaw and Mamaw Minnick.  Papaw was our very first preacher  in Germany.  I had only been on my Christian journey for six months and Papaw led Ben to the Lord while we went to the church they pastored in Morfelden, Germany.  I could write a book about our time there under their mentorship.  In all my life I have never known two people  who showed more love and selflessness than Papaw and Mamaw showed.  Ben and I grew mightly as Christians under their wisdom/guidance/love and care.  When we returned to the United States in 1987 my heart ached for a long time because we were separated by so many miles.  When they returned to the US they lived in Oklahoma and we would on occasion call or send a card.  Five years ago they moved very close -- to Monroe Washington to live with their son and daughter in law.  So we were able to visit and fellowship  more often since they were so close.  Then, six months ago they moved once again to Fort Worth to live with another daughter and son in law.

. . . Mamaw had a stroke several years ago which left her unable to speak or walk --  her right side being paralyzed.  Nonetheless Mamaw is still Mamaw -- her radiant smile, beautiful and carrying heart, has not changed one bit.  I'm not sure if Ben and I will have the opportunity  to see Mamaw any more because I was told her health is failing and she spends many days in bed now.  How incredibly thankful I am to my loving Heavenly Father who has given Ben and I this blessed opportunity to enjoy such a sweet sweet visit once again.

. . . Oh the sweet joy of Heaven!

. . . One thing that we have seen on this part of our trip is cotton growing in the fields and sometimes in bales.  We saw lots of bales -- seems as though one layer of the bale was as white as the cotton was in the fields and  the top layer of the bale was grey.  Not sure if that top layer had been treated or why it was grey.  The bales were huge -- perhaps 5 to 6 feet long and 4 to 5 feet high -- truly massive in size.   

  

No comments: